There are many kinds of laughter but my favorite is the kind that takes over your whole body. Like, you can’t do anything but let yourself have a laughing fit. Forget about walking. Something hilarious just happened. Your stomach muscles cramp up and your smile widens so much, your eyes get squinty. And did someone hit the mute button? There’s no sound coming out of your mouth! And when was the last time you took a breath?
Ahh, that’s the best kind of laughter.
- a random thinking-of-you text from an old friend
- winning a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors
- snow on Christmas
- your dog’s excitement when you come through the front door
- the last day of school
- a free extra scoop of ice cream
- when you’re about to wait in a long checkout line but then you’re called over by a cashier at the no-wait next lane over
- playing fetch with a puppy
- faded yoga pants that are as comfy as sweatpants but half a point more fashionable
- climbing back into your warm bed when you realize it’s Saturday
- popping bubble wrap
- a waving, giggling baby
…all rolled into one moment.
These are kinds of things I’ve taught myself to really enjoy, even on the most challenging of days.
You should, too.
Let go of worry enough to catch the hilarious and unsung, gemmy everyday stuff.
It’s amazing how little things can make each day sunnier, if you let them.